In 2016, NZCEL undertook a structural strengthening design project that included strengthening alterations to the entrance lobby, toilets facilities, and general floor strengthening. This was also to accommodate the installation of new retractable theatre seating.
Having a look behind the façade
The historic and elaborately detailed brick masonry façade of the former Westport Coal Company building was constructed in 1916. This building was substantially demolished leaving only the West façade which was then moved to its current location on the north-east corner of the Cable and Taranaki Street intersection and incorporated as the main entrance of the new Circa Theatre building in 1994.